How I Long to Roam in Rome

How I Long to Roam in Rome 1

Way back in September 1994, I stayed in Rimini, Italy. From here, me and my friend, Lindsey, took a day trip to Rome. It was a very early start – somewhere around 5.30am – and we managed a flying visit to St Peters, the Colosseum and the Trevi Fountain. It wasn’t enough though, and I missed out on many of the sites and sounds of this great City. I have longed to back ever since so I thought I would sum this up in poetry form and there is a recording of my reading at the top so you can listen along!

How I Long to Roam in Rome

Although it isn’t my home
Through this City I’d comb
Tour each street, each statue, each dome
How I long to roam in Rome

Years ago, before I had my daughter
I threw a coin in the Trevi’s water
So, to return, you know, I oughta!
How I long to roam in Rome

How I Long to Roam in Rome 5

The Colosseum is first
To quench my gladiator thirst
Fought to the death, unrehearsed
How I long to roam in Rome

With the Vatican next on my list
The Sistine Chapel, it can’t be missed
Eat gelato? Oh, if you insist
How I long to roam in Rome

How I Long to Roam in Rome 2

So now we must move on
To a place call the Pantheon
Where religions have come and gone
How I long to roam in Rome

Surrounded on all sides by history
This means lots of photography
I would need a bigger capacity!
How I long to roam in Rome

With basilicas and museums galore
This City will have you wanting more
So, what are you waiting for?
Please let me roam in Rome

Victoria Welton 15th June 2016

This is my entry into the GoEuro Travel Inspiration Competition detailing how I  would spend my perfect holiday in Europe. I am pleased to say that I have made the final eleven and you can go over and vote for me on the GoEuro page.

How I Long to Roam in Rome 6

Prose for Thought
Share:

14 Comments

1. Ellie
    15/07/2016 / 12:41 pm

Ooh Victoria I just want to go to Rome and take in all the sights and maybe find myself a hottie 😂in my dreams! Well done on your poetry and good luck 🍀

2. Linda Howard
    15/07/2016 / 12:26 pm

I want to go to Rome roo after reading your poem! Awesome and descriptive!

3. 18/06/2016 / 9:33 am

Oh I want to go to Rome now too!

• Victoria
      18/06/2016 / 9:34 pm

I’m glad it did the trick Cara!

4. 16/06/2016 / 9:47 pm

This is brilliant! I feel likel I’ve opened a tour brochure and now I really want to go too!

• Victoria
      19/06/2016 / 10:53 pm

5. Mrs TeePot
    16/06/2016 / 6:47 pm

Well you’ve certainly convinced me that I need to visit Rome!
    Mrs TeePot recently posted…Love Wins?My Profile

• Victoria
      19/06/2016 / 10:58 pm

Glad to hear I did the trick! x

6. 16/06/2016 / 4:19 pm

Really like your retro spin on this! I’ve never been to Rome (and would definitely like to roam) but I’m v excited about seeing Venice this summer. I particularly liked your gladiator verse! Fab poem and is that an old style ford escort in your second from last photo! Those were the days!! Good luck in the comp! #proseforthought

• Victoria
      19/06/2016 / 11:03 pm

Thank you so much! I did Venice in exactly the same way as Rome – and I long to go back there too. Thank you so much – and yes, that is an old style escort. My dad had one and it was the first car I used!! Thank you 🙂 x

7. 16/06/2016 / 10:49 am

What a lovely poem! I too long to roam in Rome. I hear it’s such a beautiful city, and from your photos alone, I know it’s a lovely place to be. Thank you for sharing this with us on Prose for Thought this week. Good luck on the competition!

• Victoria
      19/06/2016 / 11:06 pm

Aww, thanks Maria xx

8. 16/06/2016 / 8:50 am

I LOVE THIS! Love all the references to the Roman treasures – fab pics too. I absolutely adore Italy and we spent our honeymoon travelling through Italy, including Rome. It is an incredible, wonderful city, which you have evoked through your gorgeous rhyme! Brava, una poesia magnifica! #Prose4T (P.S. Have set myself a challenge of writing a poem in Italian this year – so far I haven’t written a line ;)!) x #Prose4Thought

• Victoria
      19/06/2016 / 11:08 pm

Thank you so much Michelle – I am so pleased it works. It is such a beautiful place and I wanted to try and do it justice – it is good hear that I did. I hope to see your Italian poem once it is written 🙂 x